Afraid?


Matthew 14: 22 "And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away. 23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone. 24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. 25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. 27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; It is I, be not afraid."

Go ahead and let's take a picture! Hold the snap shot in our hands; that moment of an unrelenting drive into a direction that is new, and more so... is the unknown. Tell us that we are to be fully courageous because our God is with us; and then burden us with a lie that says "any hesitation, any turning, any fear is an abomination to our God, and we could be judged and forsaken because of our weakness!" This is so far from the truth...the times of our greatest fears are those moments of our opportunity with our God to wait quietly and hear Him say "Be of good cheer, it is I, be not afraid."

Sorry, but I abhor those self proclaimed leaders of Faith that refuse transparency into their own flaws and fears. There are those who think that a show of weakness is a failure when leading. They proclaim that "honesty is the best policy", but in the portrayal of their walk of Faith, that loudly brags of their ferocious victories over the tempests that come their way, they rob God's childlike followers of the option to run to the protection of their God when afraid. Honesty is not the best policy, it is the only policy and the only way to live ... Always speak the truth in love.

Love is not callous in its delivery of truth ... Love is patient with the faults and offences of others (70 x 7), Love is kind even when treated unkindly, Love is not covetous or envious of the success of others, Love is always ready to offer forgiveness as a support system, Love is zealous for the comfort of others, Love is not boastful or overbearing, Love doesn't flaunt personal victories or force personal failures on others, Love believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things. Love, when asked "what is your motive?" Love's answer is -- "Be of good cheer, It is I, be not afraid."

In the Darkest hours of our lives, when we are most afraid -- He is there! Giving His All for us was not a sacrifice that left us to our own fears and failures, but a sacrifice that knits His heart to ours and ours to His. Is life out of control and its callous, crushing waves threatening our existence? ... The Lover of our soul, Jesus speaks -"Be of good cheer, It is I, be not afraid."

"It Is Well With My Soul" -
When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me (to know or )say
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain: It is well, (it is well), With my soul, (with my soul)
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
A song in the night, oh my soul!

He is my Song in the Night - even so, it is well with my soul!

In memory of Alan Barges - who passed via death into Life, though oh so afraid; now extravagantly comforted ... For His fear could not negate the faithfulness of His Savior, Jesus Christ, to love Him to Glory." 4/29/2016

HLFA,

Jeff