"Although"

"Although" ... What an interesting word. In spite of all of the amazing points of God's provision, there remains one thing that is irreplaceable and overwhelmingly desirable...One thing that we need... WE NEED HIM!

Have you ever stood in the middle of the flow of a massive crowd that was moving in the opposite direction that you were? Have you ever been caught in the fierce force of the ocean's undertow? Have you ever found yourself in a vehicle that had hit a patch of black ice and you were caught helplessly in the spin off into the unknown? Have you ever felt the waves of vertigo that would not allow you to lift your head? 

Have you ever faced the words "you best get your life in order!" ? Have you ever held the stillness of a small lifeless child and virtually drowned in the tears that fell from your eyes? Oh, if only You had been here! 

We have immense promises and possibilities that flow from the heart of God to us as His beloved children. His very character displayed in creation and described in scripture shout the untiring greatness of His power, the inexhaustible nature of His provision, the selfless focus of His loving-kindness and His ever renewing faithfulness. Why the delay ... wasn't Lazarus and His sisters(Mary and Martha) loved by Jesus? 

It was even clearly stated in John 11:5 "Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus." Well yes we could learn of the powerful provisions of God here -- 
- Time does not limit the works of God, 
- sickness doesn't terrify our Savior, 
- and death has absolutely no finality with our God. 
- Jesus is the Resurrection and the Life. 
These are all great truths from a distance and especially when we are not in the passenger seat of catastrophe. 

Although, I truly think a greater truth was revealed in this passage, and it was found in Martha's words when Jesus arrived on the scene (potentially late by earthly standards). John 11:21 - "Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if Thou hadst been here, my brother had not died." and in her sister Mary's words soon after in verse 32 ... (almost like she had been coached by Martha) "LORD, If Thou hadst been here, my brother had not died." 

We have no idea of the truths that are at our disposal in times of great duress and distress. We often sit under the false counsel of disappointment because of the pressure of time, sickness and death; But God does not penalize us for our fragile spiritual reflexes. He knows that we too will murmur under the sound of our breath - "Lord, if only you had been here!" 

Years ago I taught an extremely small but elite Sunday School class. It consisted of 2 students - My youngest Son, Jeremy, and the older adult handicapped son of one of our couples that attended church. This handicapped young man was at possibly half the mental capacity of Jeremy though Jeremy had just hit 13. I was reading from one of the Gospel stories that told of the paraplegic that was healed... as both Jeremy and this young man listened on intently. 

I felt overwhelmed by the mental and physical handicaps of this young man; and internally was hearing my own internal voice saying "Lord, if only you were here!" So I took a risk and asked the question - "What would you say to Jesus if He ... physically ... was right here?" 

Jeremy was potentially in the same frame of mind as I was -- so I directed the Question to this young man. I repeated the Question because I wasn't sure if he really heard me. All of a sudden the young man began to rock back and forth with excitement and shouted out while pretending to hug someone that he felt was there - "I would say - Jesus, O Jesus, I love you and I would give You a big hug!" 

Both Jeremy and I were challenged by his response. He didn't even consider his own healing, like the story ... He just wanted to hold and to love Jesus. We were wondering if we might be the ones that were handicapped. 

All the provisions for protection, peace and prosperity can be found in Him ... but the true test of what we really need is found when all those provisions are challenged... then we truly find the best thing ... we only need Him. 

Psalm 18:2 - "He is my Rock (my cliff), my fortress (siege works, prey net), my deliverer (my escape), my God (my mighty one), my strength (cliff rock wall), in whom I will trust (seek refuge), my buckler (covering shield), the Horn of my Salvation (flask of my victory, ray of light of my deliverance) and my high tower ( inaccessible height)"

 .... "ALTHOUGH" even with all of these verbalized provisions... by verse 6 distress had arrived: "I will call upon the LORD, and I cried unto my God: and He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry came before Him, even into His ears." 

Although - You just have to read what happens next -- Look out enemies Here He Comes! 

HLFA, 

Jeff