Surprise

7:15 AM is a great time in the morning for surprises.

In a non-home city, in an unfamiliar café, I was getting a jumpstart smoothie for breakfast. I was alone just for a moment with the girl waiting on me behind the counter... when an unkempt, unclean, disheveled, (obviously derelict) young stranger strolled in and began a hyper-speed conversation with the waitress...

{To capture his rambling please read the next string of words carefully but in a hyper manner:} " Top of the morning to you... Now I am not here to hurt myself or anyone here, and I am not expecting anything, and there are no obligation on your part because I know that every situation has its limitation. I, my self, have no money but these two pennies in my hand and the emptiness of my pockets ... So do not worry about having to whip up a special order; but if there are any scraps or mistakes that you were about to throw away that could provide me with a little sugar that could give me energy to begin my day I would be much obliged." ...

(Seeing that the waitress was shaking her head side to side and looking pitifully empty-handed herself , he once again tried to put her at ease) "Again there is no obligation and I only have two cents so don't worry if you have nothing to offer... have a wonderful day"

Then turning quickly to move towards the café door, the Stranger turned in my direction ... but not to address me, but just to open a dialogue with the air? ... "Ooooh, I enjoy rubbing these two pennies together, another two and I could do stereo ...(he finished with a chuckle)" Then he fixed his Eyes on me and said as he quickly left ... "Have a great day...Don't let anything or anyone rob you of your joy!"

....What just happened? I was trying to get my wits about me, sensing his need, and wanting to get him a smoothie; but he raced off and into another café so quickly that I lost sight of him. Moving on with my day I realized that this moment provided a very valuable "2 cents" rubbed ... near by me .

Joy is an essential ingredient to sustain life ... No joy, no hope... Potentially no life. BUT Joy, real lasting Joy is directly related to our relationship with God. and it appears that joy is something that can be lost by sin and selfish choices, but it can be "heard" once again; and real joy can be restored by the LORD (Read Psalm 51: It is an epic journal of the fall and return of the heart of the king ... Based on the sins of David and his restoration journey back to God's favor).

Joyless? ... Turn from your self-sufficient struggles back to an empirical reliance upon Him.

"Make me to hear Joy and gladness, that the bones which Thou hast broken may rejoice." Psalm 51:1

"Restore unto me the Joy of Thy Salvation, and uphold me with Thy free spirit." Psalm 51:12

Real Joy is ... To be continued ---

HLFA,

Jeff