Emergency Exit UP

Strange sight (probably just to me)...as I was on an airport shuttle on my way to a rental car facility, I noticed that directly above where I was sitting there was an emergency exit hatch. I had to catch a picture of this because at first it made me chuckle ..."Emergency Exit...Up?" ..."Use in case of a trumpet sound ... Cool!" With the click of the phone on my camera it went into digital memory and out of mind. All it took was One incoming personal phone call of worldly trouble, (that literally opened the flood gates of the heart through my eyes) and I was crying for a Heavenly escape hatch.

"There hath no temptation taken you but such is common to man, but GOD IS FAITHFUL, He will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make a way to escape that ye may be able to bear it." I Corinthians 10:13 

The phone receiver to my ear had me groping for some Words from the Father. I just wanted to find a strategic place to nail in a rescue karabiner, to hook and to secure a life-line to and through an emergency exit. Oh the cruelties that can be hidden in the heart. A heart that was meant to be the reserve for multidirectional love. A heart that could be reached by the Spirit of God to be challenged to great acts of compassion and kindness. Without an emergency exit UP, a heart felt trapped and abandoned will lash out at those who just happen to be in the way at that moment in time. Anger (which is only one letter short of Danger) loosens the very fires of Hell because of the flawed bridle placed on the tongue. The biggest temptation in life is to justify our existence out of anger, and then from that trench of destruction, verbally abuse the lives of others "because they had it coming" or "I'm not gonna take it anymore" or "I'm in a bad mood"..

"But will with the temptation make a way to escape" - As the flames begin to burn inside... in the smoke of self-justified, so called, righteous indignation, sitting next to each other is my Sin and my Escape. Their difference is so obvious that a child can figure out which to choose. Let's take a breath ... look at them ... and then choose wisely the way of escape; because it is the Way that leads to life ("For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" Romans 6:23). Choosing to turn from your Sin is the way of our Lord Jesus Christ. There they sit "Hate" and "Love". Breathe ... Look carefully ... choose LOVE. The Father chose love. The Son chose love. The Spirit chooses love. The choice of Hate may give you a momentary feeling of victory, but when you turn and look...you will see the carnage left behind when you unknowingly beat and crucified Love.

Christ's cross was not only the mark on the planet that frees trusting humanity from the ravages of eternal Hell, but look carefully at Jesus' sacrifice: The cruel cross is a display of what the choice of sin really looks like, and how devastating it truly is. Christ became sin for us on the cross that we might become the righteousness of God through Him. Although the words of Christ from the cross ( written below) have deep connective meaning - the face value of these words place a different spin on the reality of sins devastation:

"My God, my God, why has though forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46; Psalm 22:1) - The Choice of sin will make us feel abandoned by God.
"Father forgive them for they know not what they are doing." (Luke 23:34) - The Choice of Sin will make us feel others can be forgiven but not us.
“I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:43) - The choice of sin will make us feel we deserve death today ("It would be better for everyone if I was dead").
“Woman, behold thy son!” and “son behold thy mother!” (John 19:26-27) - Sin will turn our loved ones over to others to care for them.
“I thirst!” (John 19:28) - Sin never satisfies, it always leaves us thirsty.
“Father, into Your hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46) - Sin will cause us to give up.
“It is finished!" (John 19:30) - Sin will convince us that there is no hope, the only victory is to give up... don't even try to make it right.

None of Christ's wounds on the Cross were self inflicted but examine the wounds and the placement of them for a further sense of Sin's devastation: The Crown of Thorns -- sin's reign of physical and mental anguish. The Beating - sin scars beyond recognition. The Nails - hands and feet that will never feel soundness again. The Pierced Side - a broken heart. BUT BECAUSE OF CHRIST'S RESURECTION WE CAN BE RESTORED AND WE CAN BE USEFUL AGAIN --- BUT WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

Today we may be sitting at anger's crossroad and there are two phantoms pleading with us to go their way - HATE and LOVE. Hate will lead us to sin, but love will lead us to the Cross.

Breathe - take a good look at the Cross - and choose love!
"Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Eph. 4:32

Love - God's Emergency Escape - UP!
Don't hesitate - Choose love!
HLFA,

Jeff

May 1984 - Chorus from "Little Child"
"Little Child, with the heart to please the Father.
Little Child, wanting so to be loved.
Was it that your heart --- was made to be broken.
Was it that your eyes --- were for tears and not joy, and not joy ... and not joy?"