I Need You

As a smart aleck High School student I acquired a taste for the art of irritating adults(especially teachers, librarians, guidance counsellors and principals). I was not detention material nor juvie bound, just a mischievous fun loving youth; and for the most part my teachers liked me as we got to know each other.

As a rule, I could handle just about any conversation unless I sensed a schmooze or a condescending attitude thrown my way. When this would happen I would engage the conversation by staring at my opponents ear, not looking away. This had some hilarious results and definitely discomfited the adult that was trying to pull something over on me. This was Jeff in the BC of his life ... I hadn't quite caught the the notion yet that Eyes were the window to the soul, not the ear.

It never even dawned on me in those formative years that the teachers needed me as much as I needed them. It never even crossed my mind that the universe didn't revolve around me, and that it might be better to be a cosmic blessing instead of a cosmic irritation. Life is too short, but so eternally connected, to be a mere unfolding of care-less emotional inputs and disconnected activities. Real Life has intense meaning, satisfying purpose, and truly rewarding outcome. Real life maintains both a Vertical connection and horizontal connections that create vertical connections for all involved.

Please do not misconstrue this conversation and quit looking at my ear ... I am looking into your eyes: "He that believes on the Son (Jesus) has everlasting life; he that believes not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36.  

Living life without a personal and specific, Redemptive God Connection to and through Jesus, is just as futile as cutting down a tree with an unpowered chain saw, it may not be impossible but there will be a frustrating expenditure of energy that could have been better spent. {Note to those who have tried: When someone else pulled the cord, we were terrified by the sound and instinctively moved away.}

Here is a timeless scriptural snapshot of the Life: Psalm 63:8 - "My soul follows hard after Thee; Thy right hand upholds me." When I quickly glanced at this I saw a lot of work on my part to get God to hang on to me; but isn't that just like the "earn my way" human fabric of Fallen Eden? Keep weaving together those foolish fig leaves of denial, and sooner than later I will be living the lie (I even deceive myself into thinking can do it without Jesus!)

Here is the truth in expose' -- The connection is secured -- Because He undergirds, supports, sustains, and satisfies me with His eternal love; He has created an eternal desire that allows my soul to be held fast to the constant pursuit in His love... "following hard" after Him.

Years later, I have been the teacher, the librarian, the guidance counsellor and the principal ... Students; I needed to see Jesus in you...not you staring at my ear.

HLFA,

Jeff