Do You See What I See? (Christmas 2013)

I have to ... I must ...
Oh, just to get away from all of the “Holiday's” hustle, bustle and pressure on both sides of the cash register caused by “what to say” after the transaction (so as not to offend)! “Merry” - “Happy” - “Blessed” Gobbledygook to you. "Hey world around me, you can't hide your gift buying and gift giving hypocrisy!" "You are taking advantage of the season whether you believe in it or not." "Nicolas would be so embarrassed that you have elevated his status above the true Gift of Heaven."

I think I would have exploded into a million atoms had not the hand of God kept me together. I blurted out “Thank you Jesus!”, but saying that almost felt like I needed to wash out my mouth for that statement (or run a soapy wash rag through my head)

Unbelievable … Do you see what I see? (words to a Christmas song) ...Tramps and bums, whores and pimps, pushers and users, perverts and predators, gluttons and drunks, profane and vain, abusers and cruel, dirty and stinky, crude and rude, careless and callous, “the fearful, the unbelieving, the abominable, murderers, whore-mongers, sorcerers, idolaters and all liars … shall have their part” … the whole scene was taking on an obscene twist of Biblical proportions, all this derelict humanity was lined up to buy -buy -buy! Aaaaaaaarrrggggh (an irreconcilable expression of disgust)! “I'm Gone!”
 
In the car - REVERSE – out of the parking lot – DRIVE – to a quiet remote spring fed stream. Ignition off – SEAT FULLY RECLINED; now I will close my eyes to decompress. What in the world? I can't believe what is interrupting my quiet moment, that irritating unceasing ringing of a kettle bell.

SEAT RETURNED TO FULL AND UPRIGHT POSITION – I looked in the direction of the holiday dinging clamor with my face positioned for disgust, only to uncontrollably blush. What I saw both humbled and terrified me. There standing in the spring fed brook was a radiantly handsome Man with unusually scarred hands motioning for me to come join Him in the brook.

I was more than compelled; and without hesitation and without inhibition, I slipped into the water beside Him. His unusual scars called my name as His radiant hand pointed to the lines of horrendously stained and ruined humanity from which my appalling soul had me drive. “No please, enough, I want peace!” my troubled soul cried. Then He pointed to the water of the brook and in a still small voice implored me “Drink full, drink long and then behold the throng!”

The spring fed water was otherworldly... cool and refreshing. With each each sip and swallow, I felt a different burden overcoming my soul … and my tears began to mingle with the clear flowing waters. When I lift my eyes toward the direction of the masses, I was completely overwhelmed by what I was now seeing. Precious daughters and sons with torn and ragged play clothes standing in unending lines to purchase useless, battered and ruined toys. Oppressive and discouraging rhetoric was blaring from the mouth of an unseen and cruel illegal guardian. I could feel the hopelessness, the abandonment,and the abuse that had come upon their lives via choice or circumstance ...that mattered not, for the bribes and the broken promises they were given were overwhelming.

The still small voice came once again – “Go and tell them that I love them, while you are loving them too”. I waded out of the waters to rejoin the throngs but this time with a broken heart and a different set of eyes on.

Psalm 110:7 - “He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.”

He continues to drink of the torrential brook of the valley, and beckons us to drink also; this is why there is hope for the discouraged and a continual message of love ...to the outcast ...through the outcast ...from THE OUTCAST SON - “He came unto His own and received Him not.” John 1:11 The wonder of the Christmas Mystery is still carried about by simple shepherds, chained slaves, ransacked vagabonds, wounded strangers...all broken vessels leaking grace wherever they go as part of the majesty and glory of God's Amazing Continued Christmas Story. “But as many as received Him to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name” John 1:12

Merry Christmas 2013!

HLFA

Jeff