The Affliction of the Gravaclavs

“Come quickly Jeff, there is a fellow who has responded to your message, and he is at the altar requesting you pray for him”. (What I found there with this “fellow” at that time seemed almost funny, but as the Lord has awakened this memory, I find it as a painful theme in the lives of so many believers). When I knelt beside this weeping shadow of a man, I heard him weeping and praying; “God please take away my gravaclavs ...please, Oh please take away my gravaclavs.” Gravaclavs?

As I interrupted his praying, to try to console him … I found immediately that I was up against four things – 1. He was drunk. 2. He was broken. 3.He had no idea what I had been preaching. 4.and he wanted a miracle for God to deliver him from something that he did not begin to understand ... "gravaclavs?" (The reason why he was turned over to me - the church counsellors didn't know what to do with him).

As a first year Bible college student, preaching in my home church, I wanted so much to show the congregation and my pastor that I was already a great preacher (youthful ego). I preached a message from John 11 using verse 44 – this was from the story of Jesus calling Lazarus from the dead and from the tomb. It was an awesome story and it afforeded me a cool title for the sermon “Loose him and let him go!” And to note: The delivery was impressive from "my" vantage point even though the only soul that responded to the message was an intoxicated man that was trying to have God deliver him from something he didn't understand.

In my message I had used the word “grave clothes” over and over again. In the church's large auditorium that night there was a formula for misunderstanding: a little whiskey mixed with bouncing acoustics equals the discovery of a brand new affliction to be delivered from called “gravaclavs”. To the heart of this troubled soul it was comforting to feel (I guess) that he had latched on to something he didn't know before he came to church, nor did he understand at that moment. He was reaching out and hoping that this might be the key to deliverance. Let's think about it: Pray to be delivered from something that we don't understand, and then when God delivers us from whatever it was, we won't know what He has done, but everything will miraculously be OK. (or not!) Many times this is where we start ... but to continue this way is oppressing.

Why does this feel so familiar? Why do I find so many tormented in life because they seem more content with being locked in a miserable loop of misunderstanding than to understand and possibly see the way out? John 8:32 – “And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free”. Even this verse at a quick glance can become a mantra that is supposed to work like waving a magic wand and “shazam” we are all of a sudden happy and heading forward in life with an unshakeable victory song. What happened to the rest of the chapter or how about just the verse before it “Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; John 11:31”.  The truth that actually sets us free is JESUS, and having a continued intimate relationship with Him through His Word allows us to walk in freedom from establishing our lives on the slavery of error and confusion.

Confusion will always be waiting on the doorstep for those who don't want to “continue (remain) in His Word”. Frustration will fill the life that wants an instant fix instead of a growing, working, intimate relationship with the Truth. The Truth is revealed day by day as we walk with Him through the growing knowledge of His Word, and finally there will be the full consummation of that relationship once we are with Him in eternity. With so much to learn that liberates us along the way, why do we cling to error to build a case for the reason we are hopeless … and more hopeless than anyone else? (There are a lot of answers for this question but if the truth will continue to be studied and to be known, liberty grows and flourishes.)

The truth is we do need help to be loosed from the “grave clothes” of sin. “Forgiveness” or this “loosing” is not proven by a fantasia feeling moment. It is not just a magical word spoken and all is good. Forgiveness is a commitment to support the departure from a fallen moment. Forgiveness keeps bearing up the one needing the forgiveness. Forgiveness is not a power over someone or ourselves that we forgive, but it is the beginnings of positioning the offense, the offended, and the offender in the care of God's saving grace and mercy. My part in forgiveness is supporting and confirming His love today, God's part in forgiveness is securing my love to His love forever. With this foundation I have power to forgive and be forgiven.

 Loose us and let us go, Lord ... “Loose him and let him go!”

HLFA,

Jeff