Better Life?


Better Life (always a bit incoherent) or Best Life (always available)?

“A better life”, “the better life”, “better life” ... all of these phrases if searched for in Google or mentioned in the passing, will paint an enormous canvas of thoughts.  For instance: “A better life” may  be something that is an alternative to the life I live now; “the better life” may be a lifestyle that can remove us from the typical life of servitude, and “better life” may suggest there is a way to add quality to my currently failing life. Regardless, if we are not careful, we will miss the opportunity to see the “holy” in the present. We will not even begin to recognize eternity tapping into the “now” to bring us life.

Ten minutes of driving and ten minutes waiting: Two Big Breakfasts with Hot Cakes, two breakfast burritos, two fruit and granola parfaits, one medium coffee with 3 creams and 4 sugars, oh yeah and one fruit and walnut salad... “Is your order correct on the screen?” - “I’m not sure; your screen is not on?” - “sorry, it must still be asleep! Your order comes to $21.15, please pull up to the booth!” - “Here is your $.85 change, please pull ahead to get your order” - The waiting at an empty window is followed by the voice of a frustrated young man... “Sorry it took so long, the parfaits were all the way in the front and someone had stacked them wrong and they went flying everywhere ... I hope it gets better from here” - (Coffee and 3 bags, the order must be correct?) ... I reply ... “That’s OK, maybe the day will get better from here?”

Ten minutes of driving and laying out the breakfast for my aging in-laws (one unexpectedly sick and the other always very dependent) leaves me a little disappointed because ... there is no fruit and walnut salad (aaaaaugh!!) So, I drive back to talk to the sign, (“please pull ahead, do you have your receipt?”), then the booth person decides I am legit because she remembers me (even though I don’t have my receipt), then at the window the perplexed young man says “Here is your fruit and walnut salad; It has to be this weird weather!” ... go figure.  Now it is 7:37 AM. And the recipients are not feeling well enough to partake of the food conquest ... so I encourage them to relax; “the food will be waiting and can be brought to an acceptable temperature when you are ready”.

Now ... life slows down and I get to write this HLFA. It has been a very rough week emotionally, but I refuse to let it rot in the hands of stress and disappointment. I refuse to let “stupid suggestions” and “impatient feelings” rob me of God’s love opportunities. I will be still for this moment. (Sorry, I just leaned away from the computer, sighed and cried ... this is not easy and my God knows it ... intensely!)

Just a few minutes prior to sitting here with you ...
I sat on the brick steps outside of my wife’s parents’ house. With my One cup of coffee (with 3 creams and 4 sugars) -
I begin to think in my normal incoherent way ...
June = 6 and the 2nd day,
 ok Lord begin speaking to me from Psalm 62 ---

“Truly my soul … waiteth upon God, from Him cometh my salvation ...
He only is my Rock, and my Salvation, He is my defense ...
I shall not be greatly moved” ...
“My soul, wait thou upon God, for my expectation is from Him!”

I will not look for the elusive “better” life ... for from His Word ... my soul is found tied to Him. The cord to the “best life” is fastened firm by Him, and between Him and me. He will draw me close when my incoherent vision tries to gain control and my desires only reach for temporal relief. He wants this moment to count for eternity in my life and others. Oh my Soul, long for His Desire to love, and Wait (silent and ready to be astonished and amazed) on Him.

Although my thoughts may not connect and my tears may distort …My Hope is Jesus. “Jesus, go ahead and amaze me!”

HLFA,

Jeff