“Acheology” not Archeology

Archeology can be fascinating … but things uncovered from the past will always take an interpretive expert to “qualify” the finding's value. Again, treasures from the past are truly amazing to find. While playing kick ball as a 5th grader at Fostertown Elementary School, Fostertown, NY , I accidentally unearthed an unusually well preserved Indian arrowhead. Taking the arrowhead home to show my Dad, he immediately had me take it to some “experts” that resided in Newburgh, NY; and they whisked it away from my possession to capture it in one of their display cases at Washington's Headquarters (they did label it with my name and said “come and see it anytime we are open”).

Even with an actual relic there seems to be a point of contention as to the authenticity of that object. Scrutiny and unbelief of on-lookers seems to fuel passionate archeological historians to dig deeper and to find other relics to support their faith. There seems to be a never ending “up one on you” even in the field of archeological discoveries. (“Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth” II Tim. 3:7) Even “Christians” are sucked into the need for this “physical” kind of proof. They seem to be comforted in knowing there is a literal and physical Noah's Ark that can be observed within our days of struggling belief. What will we do when “so-called” experts unearth stuff ( in light of expert interpretation) or dust claims the desired relic and creates a conflict with this fragile faith?

On the other hand ...What could happen to an individual if his or her heart shifts from the need for physical proof to aching for “proof of life” in the souls they come in contact with? What would happen if we settled the connection with our God based on the character of our God spoken through proof of His Word, instead of mere proof of Historians? What would happen in our lives if we truly believed that God desires us, instead of trying to find grace in what we are doing for Him? (Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord … how you interpret even this phrase could have you hanging on what to do, instead of trusting Him and joining Him in really living - Did Noah discover or earn grace?)

(Now, Focus on Jesus!)With the shock of the localized joy ride about to end at a Cross, Jesus tries to pull His disciples(and us) into a reality that would stand in spite of failing Archeology. Not only was He going to purchase our pardon and establish our life on His Resurrection, but He was going to ensure our hearts of a lasting, unfolding relationship with Him. This would be preserved by the universal and personal ministry of His Holy Spirit. He would “guide us into truth” (while never leaving nor forsaking us), and actively convince the world of their need for Him ... ahead of us.(Note: This is how He prepares the table(land) before us in the presence of our enemies.) In John 16:7 -11, Jesus says: “Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.”

With the way prepared before us in the wake of our forward movements of life; He calls us to join Him, to learn of Him and to share His Ache and we will find REST...Matthew 11:28 “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light”. This passage of scripture is not a cliché … it is a Call to “Acheology” so that when archeological proof is defrocked or fades to dust … you are left standing there with Him who holds you forever with His Love. “Come ache with Me!”(Can you hear his call?) “Come Ache with Me!”

HLFA

Jeff